Military says it's received no guidance about canceling Korean war games

Share

Defense Secretary Jim Mattis was not surprised by President Donald Trump's call to end USA military exercises with South Korea and had been consulted beforehand, a Pentagon official said Tuesday. "In coordination with our [South Korean] partners, we will continue with our current military posture until we receive updated guidance".

Donald Trump's summit in Singapore may have been the first time a sitting United States president has met a North Korean leader at the negotiating table but it follows a long history of high level American engagement with Pyongyang over its nuclear ambitions.

The remarks were made by foreign ministry spokesman Geng Shuang at a briefing in Beijing after Foreign Minister Wang Yi praised the summit - the first between a North Korean leader and a sitting USA president - as "creating a new history".

Despite a year-long stand-off over Seoul's deployment of a USA anti-missile shield, China and the South found themselves on the same side last year after Trump threatened the North with "fire and fury" when it tested missiles that Pyongyang said could reach the United States mainland.

Fortnite won’t support cross-play between Nintendo Switch and PS4
Free-to-play games have already existed on the Switch , but Fortnite is especially interesting given its reliance on online play. Nintendo's Reggie Fils-Aime said the game would incorporate its battle royale mode and would be available at 1 p.m.

Meanwhile, there is no sign that the American alliance with South Korea and Japan is diminishing, even though Trump has said he would consider withdrawing USA troops from the South.

The US and South Korea are security allies, with about 30,000 American troops based in country to defend it from its northern neighbour, which launched an invasion in 1950. This includes the Ulchi Freedom Guardian joint military exercises scheduled for the fall.

Colonel Rob Manning, another spokesperson, said: "We are going to be aligned with the president", while noting that the readiness of USA forces would remain "paramout". He spoke with Trump by phone on Monday, the South Korean presidential Blue House said, but gave no immediate details of the conversation. In an effort to avoid raising tension, however, South Korea announced in early June that it would continue the annual exercises quietly and stop publicizing them.

"Now we can have hope it will soon end", Trump said.

Watch Microsoft’s Xbox E3 2018 press briefing live right here
Ahead of that there were a large amount of third party and in-house games showcased by Microsoft . E3 2018 coverage at GameSpot : Wall-to-wall coverage of the show from our sister site, GameSpot.

"We'll have to see the concrete steps that North Korea takes", she told the ABC.

Kelly Magsamen, a national security specialist with the Center for American Progress, said Tuesday's agreement contained no specific commitments by North Korea. President Donald Trump seems to have made an agreement to cease war games in the Korean Peninsula without consulting USA military leaders or South Korean allies.

After the meeting, Trump said Kim has a "great personality" and is "a very talented man". I want to get our soldiers out.

The military doesn't use the term "war games".

Liverpool target's future to be sorted before the World Cup
Liverpool have been told goalkeeping target Alisson is "very happy" at Roma and would be "content" to remain at the club. Brazilian outlet Terra claim Liverpool have launched a R$285m offer for the 25-year-old, which works out at £57m.

Share