Bacterial infection kills man who ate raw oyster at Florida restaurant

Share

According to the Florida Department of Health, the 71-year-old man died of vibrio on July 10 after eating the oyster.

The Florida Department of Health has revealed that an elderly man died from bacterial infection after eating tainted oyster at a restaurant.

Two days later, the man was dead, WWSB reports.

Details of Princess Eugenie's wedding are released
Cape Town - Britain's Princess Eugenie and her fiancé Jack Brooksbank are inviting members of the public to their wedding. Residents of Windsor Castle and a number of Royal Household staff will also be present'.

The department did not release the name of the restaurant where the man ate the tainted shellfish.

Though such infections are rare-only about 205 USA cases per year, according to the CDC-the Florida Department of Health notes that exposure is most common from May to October, when the saltwater the bacteria inhabits is warmest.

If you are experiencing these symptoms and think you might have contracted this bacteria, the Florida Department of Health says to get medical help, WWSB reports. Manatee County has had one case of flesh eating bacteria so far in 2018, but no fatalities. There were no reported cases past year, officials said. There were four confirmed cases in 2017 and one in 2016, with no deaths.

Revived Pacquiao stuns Matthysse to claim welterweight crown
Filipino athletes can produce better results in major global competitions if only they train and fight like boxing great Manny Pacquiao .

Health officials often advise bathers who want to go swimming in lakes, beaches, or rivers not to enter the water if they have cuts or scrapes. If you have a compromised immune system, the bacteria can infect the bloodstream, causing "septicemia, which can cause severe or deadly infections in other parts of the body".

Symptoms can include diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, fever and chills, rapid pulse, rapid breathing, wound infections and intestinal infections.

Those affected should confer with a doctor if any of these symptoms occur soon after eating raw shellfish or entering the water with open wounds. The bacteria does not change the appearance, odor or taste of an oyster.

Heat warning issued for coastal BC, including Richmond
Individuals may experience symptoms such as increased coughing, throat irritation, headaches or shortness of breath. Seniors, children, persons with medical conditions as well as other vulnerable individuals are especially at risk.

Share